Saturday, November 24, 2012

Willing The Studio Into Existence

I swear, my brain is all over the fucking map lately.

Right now, I'm suffering in the feverish throes of desire for change.
For Making Things Happen.

Chief among my ideas in this vein is that I want to open a studio with at least two other friends; one is an illustrator and the other is a phenomenal stained glass artist. We've been toying with the idea for a bit, poking at it and batting it about, but so far none of us have had the balls so pick the damn thing up and run with it.

It's one of those things you tend to think about in terms of, "We'll do that when we're older," under the assumption that "older" means an established career, good credit and some disposable income. None of the three of us has ANY of that shit (despite being "older") and, in fact, only one of us even has a child (not I), but I'm starting to think that now may be the time to just do it.

Every once in a while, when faced with this sort of life-assessing string of thoughts, I like to imagine that I've just slipped through a temporal wormhole from 20 or so years in the future. I see myself lounging about somewhere in that time period, contemplating that time (i.e. now) when I had a certain set of choices, and wishing I'd taken a leap that I hadn't. Then, suddenly, fate shoves me unceremoniously into the vortex and I slam into existence here, now, in my den, on the cusp of saying "fuck it" regarding some life choice. I've been given a second chance, though without the benefit of the hindsight I'd have gained in that imagined future.

I'm a City Girl. I admit it, I can't change it... don't want to. I want a studio where I can play with colorful, sparkly shit, indoors, and in close proximity to the disgusting, filthy, unreliable, occasionally dangerous, but ultimately beloved subway (the train, not the sammitch purveyors). I want to hang some Christmas lights somewhere. I want to be influenced and inspired by my friends' work, and to cooperate with each other so that we all achieve enough success to live without having to pander to the banal people and work environments that conspire to suck the life out of us. Some brick would also be nice.
I want to teach others some of the weird shit I know how to do.
I was to meet more weird artists like myself.
I want, ever so rarely, to go to a club and dance like an idiot.
I want to do drastic things with velvet.
I want to have a studio open house and display things in a gallery.
I want my dog at work with me.
I want rhythm, I want music, and dammit I can ask for anything more.
(Okay, fine, I'd be happy with just the music... we all know I'll never have rhythm.)
I want to make things that light up and glow in the dark and, moreover, I want to make other people want them, too.


Given all of that, what the fuck am I DOING with my life?


Is it really so much of a fatuous idea to just MAKE it happen once the weather warms up?
I have this funny feeling that if we did, by banding together we'd go three times as fast as we would on our own, pooling time and resources for the benefit of all. It could be something extraordinary, or it could be a colossal failure, but I'm thinking it could turn out to be an amazing thing.

In a time when artists have been stomped into rigid molds for corporate jobs, terrified by the prospect that someone who's a little faster, a little younger or a little cheaper will take away our incomes, or already unemployed and/or unemployable due to our desire for a voice of our own, it would be a glorious thing for a few of us to team up and go all old-school on everyone's ass and make our own rules.
And, and this would the important bit, succeed in doing so.

I looked into studio rentals in Brooklyn and Manhattan and, to my astonishment, I found a few that would be both suitable and affordable! I have an office desk and chair, a spare desktop Mac, my own drawing table, rugs, shelves, a coffee table and even a full-sized fridge that could all go into our space. If I could secretly crash in the studio for a few months until I got an apartment (and shower at friends' places), it's actually do-able.
The more I ponder it, the more I fall in love with the idea.

I'm not dumb... I know it would probably be several miles of rough road. Possibly VERY rough road, and there are a lot of variables, so what it comes down to is: Is it worth it to try?
I'm SO leaning towards...
"yes."

No comments:

Post a Comment